Food Service

The purpose of the Gallatin City-County Health Department’s food service program is to educate and assist food service professionals in preventing conditions and practices in food service establishments that endanger public health.

A “Food Service Establishment” is defined in Montana regulations, and includes an operation that stores, prepares, packages, serves, vends, or otherwise provides food for human consumption in a mobile, stationary, temporary, semi-permanent facility or location; where consumption is on or off the premises and regardless of whether there is a charge for the food.

Food Safety Courses

The Gallatin City-County Health Department (GCCHD) inspects food service establishments for compliance with health and safety regulations.

Local Health Code requires a licensed establishment (Food Large) to have a minimum of one person on duty at all times of operation that has completed a manager’s food safety training program. A nationally recognized program with a minimum eight (8) hours of classroom training and approved by GCCHD will qualify.

Food Establishment Licenses:

The Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services (MDPHHS) licenses food service establishments. Licenses are owner and site specific, and Environmental Health Services needs to be contacted in the event of an ownership or location change. A licensing plan review may be required for a new facility or the remodel/expansion of an existing facility. This includes:

  • Submitting a complete plan review packet with appropriate fees
  • Scheduling a pre-opening inspection upon approval of plans

Restaurant Inspections:

The Gallatin City-County Health Department (GCCHD) Environmental Health Services inspects food service establishments for compliance with health and safety regulations. Inspection reports are collected for public access through a Gallatin County restaurant inspection database. For any questions about the inspection process, please contact Environmental Health Services at (406) 582-3120 or ehs@gallatin.mt.gov.

New Restaurants:

Before opening a new restaurant, there are forms that need to be filled out through the Gallatin City-County Health Department, including a Plan Review form among others.