Indoor air pollution in our homes is not only common, it can be extremely dangerous. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that indoor air can be as much as five times more polluted than outdoor air, mainly due to the chemicals emitted from our furnishings, decorative items and cleaning products.

Mitigating indoor air pollution can have a huge effect on your health. The first step is to understand the sources of indoor air pollution within your home, vehicles and workplace.


Molds are fungi that can grow and prosper in warm, damp environments. Those sensitive to mold may experience nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing or skin irritation. More severe reactions include fever and shortness of breath. Those with chronic lung illnesses may develop mold infections in their lungs. If you identify mold in your home, it’s best to consult with a professional for cleanup.


Radon, a leading cause of lung cancer, is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that may seep into your home from the soil or groundwater. It is recommended that all homes are tested for radon. Test kits are available at Environmental Health Services, Gallatin City-County Health Department.

Secondhand Smoke

Secondhand smoke contains more than 4,000 substances, several which are known to cause cancer in humans or animals. If you or someone you live with needs help quitting tobacco, call 1-800-QUIT-NOW.